276°
Posted 20 hours ago

An Atlas of Tolkien: An Illustrated Exploration of Tolkien's World

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Very beautifully crafted book, presenting a non-exhaustive but precise retelling of all things that happened in Middle-earth, the Undying Lands and all the fantastic stories J. David Day's books - for both adults and children - have sold over 3 million copies worldwide and were translated into twenty languages. In 1981, his Doomsday Book of Animals - with a forward by HRH the Duke of Edinburgh - was a 'Book of the Year' selection for Time Magazine, New Scientist, Los Angeles Times and The Observer. While the year 2020, saw the publication of a special edition of his Tolkien Illustrated Guides Boxed Set (of 6) in the Word Cloud Classics series. It’s full of detailed and beautiful illustrations about the world of Tolkien, made by many artists through out the years.

David Days best-selling books on the life and works of JRR Tolkien include: A Tolkien Bestiary, Tolkien: the Illustrated Encyclopedia, Tolkien's Ring, The World of Tolkien and The Hobbit Companion. It works very well as a companion book, raising questions that can then be more thoroughly explored through the reading of more of Tolkien's works. The books featured on this site are aimed primarily at readers aged 13 or above and therefore you must be 13 years or over to sign up to our newsletter. is awful, no attention has been paid to scale or shape, many geographical features are left out or wrong, and the way it is made makes it very hard to distinguish what features are there AS a piece of art, it is alright, as a map, this deserves to be in the annals of awful maps.Similar to The Hobbits of Tolkien, the book takes that idea then only partly runs with it, weaving a lot more into it and less of what the title says it is.

Sometimes I felt that I had read a piece of information two or three times, and occasionally I would read this information a second time and it would contradict (or seem to contradict) something that was said earlier. Tolkien, which was published between the first and second editions of the Atlas, is not taken into account in the revision. It was not always very well written (I missed some comma's) and it was at times repetitive, but that does not do away with the fact that this was very interesting; now I finally feel I may one day tackle The Silmarillion!You'd be forgiven for thinking that this book is purely full of illustrations and snippets of info about Middle Earth and the greater land of Arda, but it is so much more. He also assigns them epithets which are either variations of existing ones or entirely new but still resembling their real ones. Packed with full page maps and illustrations of events in the annals of Middle-earth, it is the perfect companion to the bestselling A Dictionary of Tolkien . Through beautiful full-page ILLUSTRATIONS of the key places and events of Tolkien's world, this book tells the story of how the COUNTRIES and PEOPLES of Middle-Earth came to be.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment