276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Everything You Ever Wanted: A Florence Welch Between Two Books Pick

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Scarlett's arrival at Tiggy's flat and her grand plan nearing completion start the fast plot of the novel moving, but it's the contrast and the dynamic of the relationship between the girls which truly powers Everything You Ever Wanted. They described the narrative to me briefly and I found it so interesting, how the story and its structure seemed so simplistic but it dealt with a lot of heavy themes and ideas. I still plan to read the PRETTY LITTLE LIARS series, but I'm not sure I'd attempt another of Shepard's adult novels. Luiza Sauma’s Everything You Ever Wanted is a dystopian novel inspired in part by ‘Hostile Planet’ an episode of the podcast, Love + Radio. Puncturing the dark existentialist tone of the story with little moments of real humour was a wise move that pays off in full (I especially adored the extended joke about people who shit at work).

I think she does die eventually; that all of the imagery of her de-robing and the echoes in the narrative of her swimming with her younger sister in a pond in a park in London represents a form of spiritual release for Iris. In The Psychology of Money, award-winning author Morgan Housel shares 19 short stories exploring the strange ways people think about money. After work you get so blackout drunk you can’t remember the circumstances which have led you to waking up next to your colleague. For example, the book's discussions of mental health or its varied extensive criticisms of how social media makes us all more superficial and less empathetic.

We can roll our eyes and state "no one would be crazy enough to do that", but some are so maddened by their dull day-to-day existence that I strongly believe some would love the opportunity and woud at least consider it. Everything You Ever Wanted is a real breath of fresh air for science fiction – a genre which has felt a little lost of late. Sara Shepard graduated from New York University and has an MFA in Creative Writing from Brooklyn College. It offers a very clear and stark comparasion for the reader between what Iris had and what she so desired. Filled with sharp observations about the way in which we live now, Everything You Ever Wanted is both an acute satire of our social media-dominated times – notably, Iris still strives for “likes” when living on Nyx, even though she has no idea whether anyone on Earth is reading her sanitised social media posts – and a haunting examination of depression and anxiety rendered in diamond-sharp prose with barely a wasted word.

The book is narrated in the first person and alternates between the girls, both wonderfully unreliable narrators. Now Caine delves into the real stories behind the gangs we think we know so well, revealing the hidden realities behind the myths.

Flesh and Bone and Water looked at young love across the social and ethnic divides in 1980s Brazil, delving into layers of history, both national and personal. Iris, a Londoner nearing 30, is wondering how much longer she can spend Thursday nights trying not to throw up on the bus home after drinking with colleagues from the branding agency where she works as a “digital innovation architect”. When the father dies and they find out he was having an affair with his son's girlfriend the whole family is shocked. Scott is an angry, sullen young man whom everyone feels they have to tiptoe around lest they set him off. The narrative is not written from a first person perspective, but it is contained to Iris' view directly and often comments on her internal thoughts and feelings.

In the opening pages of Luiza Sauma’s second novel, Iris Cohen reflects on the choice she made to abandon Earth and its soulless grind for life in another solar system. Everything You Ever Wanted is a brilliantly gripping exploration of what it means to be human and what it means to be happy and fulfilled in life. I did enjoy the way Sara Shepard is able to dig into the depths of each character and really get into how everyone deals with their roles as, mother, wife, son etc. It provides a lot of positive prospects of going to this planet to give us more context for Iris' decision to leave her previous life. The taverna is the only place that Kostas and Defne can meet in secret, hidden beneath the blackened beams from which hang garlands of garlic and chilli peppers, creeping honeysuckle, and in the centre, growing through a cavity in the roof, a fig tree.I agree with this objectively as I did find it particularly difficult to form deeper connections with the characters. Only having read this particular book by Shepard, I can’t see myself reading any of her other books. The author of the bestselling young adult series, Pretty Little Liarsand The Lying Game, as well as the adult novel, The Visibles, she currently lives outside Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with her husband and dogs.

When she leaves Earth, she’s hoping that her mother, Eleanor, will ask her to stay, but Eleanor has kept her own counsel ever since her husband killed himself when Iris was five – a factor, it’s implied, in Iris’s teenage experience of suicidal depression, after she was tricked into giving a friend’s boyfriend a blowjob on camera at a party. Sara Shepard is also the author of the Pretty Little Liars series which I haven’t read but gather must be quite popular since it’s been made into a TV series. Filled with sharp observations about the way in which we live now, Everything You Ever Wanted is both an acute satire of our social-media dominated times, and a haunting examination of depression and anxiety rendered in diamond sharp prose with barely a wasted word. Earlier one of the character tells Iris about this secret window to the outside World, so it's hinted that the characters just left the building and perhaps died in the surrounding inhabitable atmosphere. This book was my first novel by Sara Shepard that i've read, and was really excited to read it, but was let down.The characters are hauntingly real, and the ending is one of the most memorable I've read in a long. And if she does have regrets after arriving on Nyx, is there anything that she and the other inhabitants can actually do?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment